Grand Rapids Women’s Chorus’ “season” runs from September – May each year with the possibility of additional performances in the summer months. New members are invited to join for full seasons only. Auditions for each season are typically in the month of August.
Current Audition Schedule
Monday, August 21, 2023 5:30 – 8:00 pm
Wednesday, August 23, 2023 5:30 – 8:00 pm
All auditions are at Temple Emanuel – 1715 Fulton St. E, Grand Rapids, 49503
To schedule an audition, please e-mail email@example.com. You must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 to audition.
The first rehearsal of the 2023-2024 season is September 6, 6:45 – 8:45 pm
If you are interested in auditioning for the Grand Rapids Women’s Chorus, the following information will be helpful:
What responsibilities will I have as a member of GRWC?
- Attendance at rehearsals, performances, fall retreat
- Memorize music for performances
- Return music to GRWC library as requested during the season and upon leaving chorus
- Responsible use of roster
We generally schedule 4-8 performances per year. A detailed schedule of all confirmed dates for the upcoming season will be discussed at the time of your audition. Any additional performance requests will be brought to the membership to determine feasibility.
- Singers are expected to attend weekly rehearsals, which are held on Wednesdays from 6:45-9:00 p.m. at Temple Emanuel.
- Singers are expected to attend scheduled sectionals. There will be approximately one sectional every six weeks, as needed, throughout the season.
- While there are no annual dues, all singing members pay annually to attend the Fall retreat. The current cost is $50, however, that may increase without notice.
- Other costs that members may incur are associated with, but not limited to, social events and the purchase of promotional items. However, these activities are often optional.
- Concert attire was chosen by a committee of singers and may change periodically. We wear all black from head to toe. A small amount of inconspicuous jewelry may be worn as desired by members.
- If parts of our concert attire are purchased by GRWC, they remain the property of GRWC. It’s also possible that singers may be required to purchase some of their performance attire. Individual members retain and care for all concert attire.
May I attend a rehearsal to get a better idea of what the rehearsal process is like?
You are welcome to sit in on a rehearsal. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to attend a rehearsal.
Is GRWC the right chorus for you?
Yes, if you are a woman who:
- Loves to sing and is willing to learn a variety of musical styles, including music from all over the world.
- Can either sight-read or match pitch and learn by ear
- Can commit to our rehearsal/ performance schedule for a minimum of one year; and
- Can carry out GRWC’s mission statement
What is the audition process like? Do I have to prepare a piece ahead of time?
The audition consists of two parts: the musical audition and the interview. The entire process should take approximately 45 minutes. Please plan to arrive 10 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment to check in with singer volunteers. Then, you will meet individually with our Artistic Director, Lori Tennenhouse.
During the musical audition, the Artistic Director will ask you to:
- Sing scales and warm-ups (to determine tone quality and range)
- Repeat simple melodic patterns (to ascertain tonal memory/pitch recognition)
- Sight-read an excerpt (to determine your level of reading skill), although, sight-reading ability is not required
- You should come prepared to sing a song you feel best demonstrates your vocal talent. This piece can be any style you are comfortable with. You may bring sheet music, sing from memory, sing acappella or bring an instrument recording to sing with.
During the interview, you will meet with at least one board member who will fill you in on information you need to decide if the GRWC is right for you, such as:
- Our mission
- Our vision
- Our culture
- Member responsibilities
- Our schedule
This will be an opportune time for you to ask any questions you may have about our organization.
Should I be nervous?
No. The audition is private and is non-competitive. It is designed to evaluate your voice, not whether you can out-sing anyone. There are many skill levels represented in each chorus. However, you will need basic musical ability to be a singing member. At a minimum, you will need to be able to match a pitch that is played on the piano as well as be able to repeat a basic rhythmic pattern. You may be asked to sing with other singers to see how your voice blends.
How many singers is the Grand Rapids Women’s Chorus looking for?
The GRWC strives to represent diversity within our membership and we encourage all ages, ethnicities, backgrounds, sexual preferences, and musical styles to audition. The choir tries to maintain membership at 60-75 singers with balanced voice parts. On your audition day, we will know better which sections we are filling.
GRWC gratefully accepts the support of non-singing volunteers who uphold the GRWC mission, vision and values and wish to help GRWC achieve our goals by participating in the operations of the chorus. We are especially appreciative of volunteer help around concert activities but have needs across all organizational functions including, but not limited to promotions, PR, grant-writing, development, and operations.